GamerHacks
Welcome to my site! Please Login to start posting!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

GamerHacks
Welcome to my site! Please Login to start posting!
GamerHacks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave

Go down

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave Empty Change Your PS3 XMB Wave

Post by SupBro! August 11th 2011, 3:55 pm

Tutorial

This tutorial will show you how to edit your PS3 XMB wave. I am going to show you the basics to get you started. If you have edited a dynamic theme background manually you will find this tutorial very easy.

Note: you will need some technical know-how, this isn't advised for beginners! The videos below shows the outcome of the tutorial.

I will not be held responsible for any damage caused to your ps3, you have been warned.

Prerequisites
•A HEX Editor (Google one)

•Simplyzip -http://Change Your PS3 XMB Wave Simplyzip
•Notepad++

•"lines.qrc" from dev_flash files (ensure you make a backup copy)

•PS3 wave edit quick start.zip - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steps

Firstly we need to decompress lines.qrc with Simplyzip. But before we open Simplyzip we need to open the lines.qrc file with a hex editor and delete the first part like this:

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 2d9pll10

Then save, so you end up with this.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 2lwq8f10

Now we open up Simplyzip and go to “External prog” then “ZLIB (pack/unpack)” locate the file and click decompress. You will then end up with a file called “lines” in the same directory as lines.qrc. This new file “lines” is the file we need to edit.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave O6myyf10

Now extract my PS3 wave edit quick start folder.zip. You will see some files which I have manually extracted from “lines”.

Okay so you want to change 1 of the 12 background colours to a colour/pattern. Each colour represents adifferent month. So lets change 01.rgb.dds (January). Load up the dds file in photoshop, change the colour/pattern and save as these dds settings (the file size has to match).

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 5uzxl10

Also you will notice that is the image is only small (the ps3 streches the image out).

If you wanted to change the “original” colour just edit 1 of the “night-**.dds” colours for the current month. For example 08.night.dds (August). So the difference between “rgb-**.dds” and “night-**.dds” is that “rgb-**.dds” is used by a PS3 theme or when selected and “night-**.dds” is used when “original” is selected for colour.

To add a new background colour we have to insert the edited background colour into “lines”. We do this by opening both lines and the edited file in the hex editor, copying all of the edited file and pasting at the correct offset (see offsets.txt).

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave Oan99012

If you wanted to edit the PS3 wave that is a little more advanced. Open “wave settings info.js” (compare to help) and “wave settings.js” (this is not a javascript file I put the extension in because you can read it better) with notepad++. I don’t have alot of info on which part does which, but you can play around with the script and I will update “wave settings info.js” soon. Make sure when you edit this file if you delete 1 number/character you put another 1 back in (the file size has to match).

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 1zqaou10

To edit the xmb background wave edit the “override/black/LINE1.MNU” section in the script and for coldboot wave edit the “override/coldboot1/LINE1.MNU” section in the script.

So you have edited what you need. Just insert the same way as a background colour but with the wave settings.js offset.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave Wbxukg10

Okay when you have finished all of your editing you need to compress the “lines” file. First you go to Simplyzip. Select “External progs” then “ZLIB (pack/unpack)” and open your edited “lines” file and click compress.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 6pqlw810

You will now have a file called lines.zlp in the same directory as you edited “lines” file. The next thing you need to do so the file works is add the “lines.zlp 8 byte hex start” from my PS3 wave quick start folder to the begining of the file with the hex editor (insert mode then paste).

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 2q9mbl10

Save the file and the start should look like this.

Change Your PS3 XMB Wave 254yqt10

The final thing is to rename the file lines.zlp to lines.qrc.

Now your file is ready to be used/tested. I personally test with Jaicrabs usb firmware loader v0.3 first (youcan’t test your coldboot wave), then if everthing is good I use dev_blind to copy to my dev_flash permanently.

Once again please note I will not be held responsible if you brick/damage your ps3 doing this. Don't forget to thank.

SupBro!
SupBro!
ohai
ohai

Back to top Go down